Solar energy is a great way to make your house more eco-friendly and save money on your home energy costs. Some aspects of installation can be confusing to the average person, so here are five things to make you do before choosing a contractor for your solar installation.
1. Ask for their license number, and check it. It’s important that you see how long your contractor is licensed and if they have any black marks on their record.
2. Get more than one quote, and compare. Don’t necessarily go with the cheaper one - different installers offer different equipment, one may have higher quality parts, or better warranty coverage. Find the best value for your needs and budget.
3. Find out if your contractor outsources their crew. If they do, make sure they know how their installation crew well - how they’re trained, what equipment they use, and their overall relationship with them. After all, these are the people that will be drilling holes in your roof.
4. Get a referral. The best indicator of a contractor’s work is what their past customers say about them. Try and find word around town, or in some cases, ask if you can call some past customers of theirs. Internet searches are also helpful, for instance, googling Ann Arbor solar panel installer will give you local results and reviews by past customers.
5. Ask about turnaround time. Get your estimated completion time before you commit to one contractor or another so you won’t end up disappointed.